Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Don't use the "O" word.

Yikes.
Jane is out there and she's been reading this blog.
This I know because the "I am Jane" response has been checked off in my poll, presumably by Jane herself.

How she has found the time to read this blog, though, is completely beyond me. Clearly she is swamped and can't indulge in frivolous and indulgent hobbies like reading, like some people do: AKA me.
So I guess it's fair to say that I can definitely count myself out of those Christmas chocolate molds.
Although, quite honestly Jane, I think you and I both know that the ship has already long sailed on that one.

Anyways, I was quite glad to see that no one clicked the 'no you're over reacting' button.
At least, not yet.
Which must mean that my husband hasn't yet stumbled across this blog. Because that's exactly what he would say. And I have to say that this entirely the wrong approach. Regardless of the circumstances or the situation.
I. Never. Over react. Period. And even when I do, I don't.
I don't know if that makes any sense to you, but it makes perfect sense to me.
Because when I'm mad and upset and frothing at the mouth, the last thing you want to tell me is that I'm over reacting.
Because then you will see me over react to being told that I'm over reacting.

Geoff, now wise to my moods, carefully avoids the word "over reacting" and cloaks in language that makes me think, for a second, that he's actually siding with me.

Example: "I think maybe, if we put things in perspective, it might not be that, that bad."
or "I think this might be getting blown out of proportion a little bit"

And at first it's like "Well, I guess maybe."
But then it's like "Wait a minute: Are you saying that I'm over reacting? Is that what you're getting at here? Because I'm not. And further more: I'm not too stupid to read between the lines. You think that you can throw a big word like 'proportion' in there or 'perspective' and it will completely lost of me that you're implying that I'm over reacting. Well it won't. Because now, apparently, you think I'm over reacting and stupid on top of that.

I just don't see what would be so hard about saying "Yes. You are absolutely right. Putting that saucer in the dishwasher without rinsing it was a really stupid and insensitive thing to do, possibly one of the worst things I could have ever done. How shall I begin to make things up to you?"
Honestly.

Even Adsense (Adsense! I thought we were friends) has been on my case about this. I got this for an ad one day: "Prone to angry outbursts? Get a free Alzheimer test today at whatever-whatever-whatever.com-slash-url"

Like really. No, I am not prone to angry outbursts and no I do not want a free Alzheimer assessment. Why they would even suggest this is beyond me. But it pisses me off.
And no, I am not over reacting.

3 comments:

Dee said...

Ever notice how even the hint that you might be over reacting, sends you into MAJOR over reacting? LOL Me too

Lorrie said...

You are not an overreactor...you are passionate and caring and that may be taken as overreacting at times...like when they put tarter sauce on your Filet o' Fish and you burst into tears and curse the man who invented McDonald's AND tarter sauce...passion!

randine said...

Well, honestly- whose bright fricking idea WAS it to combine the two worst condiments in the world- relish and mayonnaise. Like, really. How do you expect someone react to THAT smeared on their burger??